From:
Jeanne Schrank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:22:29 -0600
I cared for my breastfed nephew during the first year of his life.  He
was not terribly fond of the bottle either.  With him, what worked best,
was, instead of trying to feed him the bottle in a way which reminded
him of nursing, to find a completely different way of going about it.

He responded fairly well to the NUK nipple (which is also what my
husband used in feeding my children when I was working part time).   I
walked around while he was feeding and he did not seem to like me to
look at him.  He also took fresh milk much better than defrosted milk.
(Incidently, some of my kids seemed to take the occasional bottle of
formula better than EBM--maybe because the EBM reminded them too much of
what they were missing.).

My nephew's mom is a teacher, and nursed him all summer and when he was
in my care again in Sept. at around 9 mos., he wouldn't take a bottle at
all, but I was able to easily give him a cup.

My nephew was a big, robust baby but he never took more than 6 or 7
ounces of EBM in an eight hour day.  My husband had a similar experience
caring for our babies two evenings a week from the time they were six
weeks old.  They just seemed to take in enough to get them through the
time away from me, and when they were small, woke up as soon as I got
home to feed.

Jeanne Schrank
LLLLeader in Wi, USA