From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:21:29 +1000
Thank you, Maria. I agree totally that mothers need the sort of support that
envelopes them in a breastfeeding-friendly culture, as it takes a lot of
determination and courage for an individual mother to buck the system as
regards the attitudes surrounding them and the lack of support for exclusive
breastfeeding, feeding according to infant cues (needs), offering the breast
(not a bottle) when away form home, and continuing breastfeeding beyond the
first few months and into the second year or beyond.

It sounds as if you are doing a great job. You also show an awareness that
one person can't do all of this support, with your "community" and "safe
haven" approach". We can so easily burn out. I used to be available at all
hours by phone, but in the end I had to put in some limits, e.g. no calls
after early evening. This is possible where there is a reliable 24/7
telephone helpline, as there now is in Australia. What I believe is that we,
as individuals, need to mentor people in the community who can also provide
the support. This can be the mothers' own personal networks, e.g. involving
partners and grandmothers in improving their support, especially if they
attend consultations or groups.

Some examples that may be of use to others: Does someone in the area,
preferably someone of more senior years, run discussion groups for
grandparents on breastfeeding and supporting the mother?  Does WIC have a
grandparents' session on breastfeeding and supporting their daughter or
daughter-in-law?  Is there a local peer counsellor program in area that can
give support when you can't be there? The old saying comes to mind, "the
more the merrier". My other saying, I used to use a lot to breastfeeding
counsellors when there were too few and a huge demand, was, "Train your own
successor, preferably three" (to allow for changing circumstances, and
dropping out).

I do hope you can find others in the community who can widen the range of
supportive people for the mothers and create the supportive environment you
long for.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA

Private Practrice Lactation Consultant

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

E: [log in to unmask]

Maria Parlapiano wrote ;

Yes -the big picture looks frightening. The history of infant feeding always
fascinates me as I am reminded of all the difficulties back then that still
remain today-poverty, public status, unethical marketing and ignorance in
the medical field.  The perceptions that "value" is linked to money. The
belief that breastfeeding is nearly impossible and the disbelief and shock
when a mom is exclusively breastfeeding.  One of my moms who is exclusively
nursing her 4mo twins ( and who also has a 3 yo) got a standing ovation at
her pediatrician office -not that it wasn't nice to acknowledge but they
were the first ones to say she couldn't or shouldn't even try it!  Now,
she's an anomaly.

Where I live, moms need immediate and timely -pretty much, daily
encouragement and support in order to combat the evils that lie ahead. It's
like an obstacle course out here or mine field on which they and I am on
constant damage control! De-programing a cultural mindset takes time and
persistence.  That's why, (as I am sure many of you) chose to create a
"community" or "safe haven" for new moms.  I make myself available 24/7 via
phone or email/txt -6 days a week at my center and conduct weekly support
groups - I have seen no other way to do it over the last 20 yrs. -since it
"takes a village" to help make breastfeeding happen.