From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:48:43 -0500
I hate to even say this, because I have no problem with nursing in public
and have done so many times. I truly love the INFACT posters that I believe
are from Canada also, and I even breastfed one child for about 6
years....but......
does anyone else feel that these posters would have the opposite effect on
some communities?
I guess being a Southerner [USA]  and knowing how this culture would react
to these posters, I cringe to think they would be used - here - to promote
breastfeeding. I think it would totally backfire. I am just being honest. I
do hope they inspire women in Canada and are well accepted. I do believe
that more *exposure* of women bf in public will serve to gradually
desensitize the world but I think littler steps would be required here. I
find mothers here worry alot about being seen, and even in hospital they
cover up quickly when someone knocks at the door. So I often wish that
photos and promos of bf have the mother lift her shirt from the bottom or
unbutton from the bottom. I discuss with the moms how they can easily cover
up wearing an appropriate top and allowing the baby to cover their tummy.
Sorry to crash the party.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA