Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:15:32 EST
Hi Everyone,

I have to throw my 2 cents in.

I do understand the frustrations of having a baby unnecessarily fed formula
for a low blood sugar.  The protective benefits of breastmilk on the gut is
valid and important. But, the brain needs glucose to function.  If it is deprived
of enough glucose, it is my understanding, that brain cells will die.  This
is not a temporary condition, the damage is permanent.   Being a NBICU RN  for
too many years :o)  and an LC for over 16 years, I find this topic very
frustrating because  I know that health care providers ie. nurses and pediatricians
work very hard to provide a good outcome for a newborn.  We are not the enemy.

In the unit that I work in, if a breastfeeding baby has a blood glucose
screen between 25 and 49, the Mom is asked if she would feed her baby to avoid
formula if possible.  Some Moms refuse to breastfeed "again", some of the Moms are
glad to.  Many times the feed will resolve the low blood sugar problem, but
formula will be given if necessary.

If a glucose screen is < 25, an IV is usually started and 10% glucose is
given in a small bolus to quickly correct the hypoglycemia.  Believe me, the
nurses and docs would like to avoid this situation, no one enjoys stopping their
work flow to quickly start an IV in a very small vein. It is a pain!!!  But, we
do it because we want that baby to have the best outcome.  So, sometimes the
benefits of intervention can outweigh the risks of a formula feed.
Sincerely,
Christy Ann Flynn, RN