From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:14:53 -0700
Example from car seats: we do 30 minute car seat challenges for our NICU
babies prior to discharge. This is because of the position the car seat
forces the baby into. The back is rigidly flat which forces baby's head
forward and his chin firmly into his chest - potentially making breathing
difficult for the preemie graduate. In addition, baby's butt often slides
forward, or is placed forward, near the center buckle, instead of deeply
into the car seat where the seat and the back meet. This forces baby's
spine into a curve. The preemie may not be able to adjust himself for
comfort or ease of breathing.
I just had a thought: maybe the car seat challenge should address the issue
of blankets completely covering the car seat, like a tent. DUH!!!
And "baby being covered by blankets" should be relevant anywhere, not just
in bed. At least in my opinion.
Phyllis

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ