From:
Claire Bloodgood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:25:19 -0500
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:47:00 -0600, Jim & Winnie Mading
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>How wonderful it would be if we could all take the time described as
>ideal in establishing trust.  However, what do you do when you are
>the only available LC, you have 18 new moms to see, several of whom
>are having problems, several of whom are chomping at the bits to be
>discharged...

Take a deep cleansing breath before you enter the room, walk in at a
moderate pace (even if you were just running down the hall to get there),
smile warmly and make eye contact, shake hands and ask the mother how she's
feeling.  Then ask if she has any questions or concerns before you start
your assessment.

-Claire Bloodgood
breastfeeding counselor,
(studying for the IBLCE exam :-)!)