From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:43:32 -0700
I serve on a breastfeeding task force that puts on three educational
symposiums a year for community professionals. While the attendance from
WIC, LCs and RNs has been good, we've not succeeded in getting doctors in,
and they are the ones we really want to reach.

Well, I've just gotten a local pediatrician, the *only* one who appears to
understand tongue-tie and breastfeeding issues and who will do frenotomies,
to agree to speak on the topic.  We want to reach the other pediatricians,
but the last time we had a doctor speak, still no other MDs came.  I'm
hoping that this controversial topic will catch their attention, but when we
send out flyers there is no guarantee that they ever see them.

What can we do to draw the MDs in, and most specifically Peds?  I'm looking
into whether they have a bulletin board at the hospital where we can post
this, and also if this can be announced at their monthly meeting (which I
hope occurs in the right time period). I'm also thinking of a special,
snazzier, personal invitation.  I do plan on giving the talk a title that
mentions discussion of the controversy.

Another sticky point we're working with right now is lunch. Our symposiums
are always held over lunch, and up until now we've had someone sponsor the
lunches. Well, we've used up our sponsorship with the hospital for the year
and also with one breast pump company; the other company is making a modest
donation, but not nearly enough.  So, we're scrambling right now as I know
how important FOOD can be to draw people in.  :-)

Any brilliant ideas out there?

TIA,
Lisa Marasco IBCLC
Santa Maria, CA