From:
Sarah McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2016 17:14:49 +0000
Hi all,

Are there any specific challenges I should know about when helping a mother of a baby with cystic fibrosis? I have read the article on the LLLI website and read the piece in Breastfeeding and Human Lactation by Riordan and Wambach, but I can't find anything else helpful. To be honest I think most of the challenges this mum is having wouldn't be such a problem in a more breastfeeding friendly culture. Baby is 7 weeks and mum has been doing really well and built up her milk supply. Baby was born at 37 weeks. Baby has been struggling to latch in recent days. She was at the hospital yesterday and hospital suggested baby had breast aversion and  didn't want to go to the breast due to stomach pain. They also gave her a cows milk free formula and told her if she wants to keep breastfeeding she needs to go dairy free. While going dairy free may be a good thing, the language they appear to be using with the mother is annoying me. However I know it may just be the mum's way of expressing it.

Many thanks in advance,

Sarah McCann, BScHons, PgDip, IBCLC.