From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 06:57:58 -0500
I had a hosp policy that mother  (separated from baby for any reason) was
to begin pumping within 12 hours of delivery.  If she was not assisted by
someone from nursery or postpartum (it had to  be documented) then it was
an incident report!  It was ultimately postpartum's responsibility and her
nurse for that shift was the person who got the incident report.  I felt
this was no different than ignoring whether or not mom's other bodily
functions were working. (ie: we wouldn't ignore no urination for 12 hours
post delivery - can lead to pp hemorrhage, bladder infection etc.)

So get a policy instituted.  Use Meier's research as basis, delineate who
is responsible,  how incident is noted.)  Makes people-read that staff- get
the idea that BF is important (annoying to have one more thing to do, but
important).  Sometimes we can't always accomplish change in a friendly
manner, sometimes it has to be that the powers that be said DO THIS.  My
research for my MSN clearly indicated that good hospital policies were a
strong influencing factor on what nurses did.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ