From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:24:27 +0000
*<http://badladies.blogspot.com/2009/03/they-shoot-wet-nurses-dont-they.html>

"* So would it be weird if someone else fed him from a bottle? No, of
course not. These are only acts of nurture, whether they involve the
bottle or the breast. And this is what the breast is made for.

I nodded, and reassured Laura that as a nursing mom I did not take any
substances or medications that might compromise my milk.

And so. I took Laura's daughter in my arms and she smiled at me and I
lifted my shirt and she happily bent her head and drank her fill.

(Was it weird? No. It was different. Describing the thoughts and
emotions that accompany nursing another woman's child requires more
space than I have here. It was intimate, but not inappropriately so - no
more inappropriately intimate than someone holding your baby and cooing
in his ear, whispering sweet baby nothings. If anything, it brought me
to a deeper, more visceral understanding of my body as a miracle of
biology, as a work of nature that is built to do certain things, one of
those thing being - in my case; this is not necessarily true for every
woman, and no woman is lesser for not being able to do it - nursing
babies. My breasts are not sacred or magical objects, they are not
quivers full of milk-arrows that can and must only be directed to
blood-offspring. They provide milk. They nourish. They are both utterly
mundane and terrifically awe-inspiring for that fact.)

I was grateful - so, so grateful - for Laura and her child; their
generosity and open-mindedness and open-heartedness saved me a great
deal of pain. At the end of the day, a mother was released from some
considerable discomfort, and a child was nourished. Wonderful, no?

Well, as it happens: no. Not for everybody. Someone was watching, and
someone did not like what they saw. Someone was watching and decided
that what I had done was deviant. Irresponsible. Disgusting. Eww."

- - - -

Full story on link.

Morgan Gallagher