From:
Erika Lance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2013 16:35:40 -0600
I have a client with a 13 month old infant and I have never need this kind
of latch. Mom complained that infant isn't latching well and never has.
When I observed this baby would be stretching (pulling) the nipple and
pulling away from the breast. All you see is this baby's mouth and the
stretched area or skin of where the nipple meets the base of the breast.
Hopefully, that is the best description. It helped alittle to have mom lean
back.

Infant was born premature at 34 weeks. Baby was 6 pounds. Infant had a
feeding tube down the nose and would not suck. After 3 weeks, infant
finally was able to feed from a bottle but it was time consuming, messy and
mom said infant would choke. Infant did much better at breast but was a
slow but steady gainer.

I noticed a tight upper lip tie and was thankfully, able to sweep my finger
under her tongue and saw and felt a speed bump... possibly type 4.

What would be the best step? Eval with getting the tongue and lip looked
at. I have some great people to send her to. And then to physical therapy?
This baby has been compensating for so long and still struggling by pulling
and stretching not only the nipple but her body. She won't take a sippy cup
or drink anything but breastmilk from breastfeeding. Miraculously, mom does
not have sore nipples.and baby is small but has tripled her birth weight.
Mom just knew that something wasn't quite right and none of her other 3
kids nursed like this or for this long. Mom would like to continue to nurse
until age 2..  I have never seen this and wanted to get some advice or
direction or thoughts?

Thank you!