From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 05:39:13 -0700
Having had all my babies at home and not being a hospital-based LC, I
never realized that they did a hearing test with electrodes placed on
the baby. I feel very sad for babies that are born in the hospital.  So
many invasive procedures done to these little people by strangers with
latex gloves.  No wonder some of those babies are hard to wake up.
Shutting down/sleep being the only defensive position a baby can have
against such intrusions.  How much of these intrusions are responsible
for babies that sleep too much in the early days(besides meds from the
mother during the birth) or babies that can't take too much handling
before they start screaming?  It is a sad, violent beginning to life on
earth for these youngsters.  Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC