From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:19:37 EST
Hi Dee!
Well, you confirmed exactly what I've said to mothers since approx. 7 years
ago, too.  I do not recommend they wash the tubes before use, and like you
said, the problem tubes are from mothers who have purchased their pumps elsewhere
or at stores.  I've never had a mom who purchased a pump from me have a
problem since I educate them on the use of the pump at the time of purchase.  Which,
by the way is a real asset to LCs selling pumps, and as Nancy said, LCs can
choose to operate a business ethically while selling supplies.

So, my question still resides in that if a woman either purchases her pump
from me, or attends my pumping class so that she is informed not to wash the
tubes since I address this notion in my teachings, then how often should she
change the tubings?  Are tubings safe to use after storage in the closet for a
year, for instance, and then taking the pump out for the next baby?  I think
these are questions that we really don't have the answers to in terms of research.

What do most of you say to a woman who asks whether she should replace her
tubings to her pump for this new baby?  How many of you refer moms with
subsequent babies to a source such as an LC in private practice who carries the pump
parts?  As we know, the stores don't carry the parts because the $ for the
parts is probably not worth the time spent on the sale.

Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL