From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:27:06 -0500
I got the exact same response, Anne, when I wrote to WebMD over a year ago
voicing the same complaints you are.  I think my message emphasized the fact
that there was no clear difference between the WebMD content pages and the
formula ad, which had the WedMD logo at the top, and represented itself as
giving sound medical advice about how to feed babies.

Obviously, someone at WebMD reads the message, sees it is a complaint, and
sends their canned response-to-complaint message.

I don't want to discourage letter writing -- I do it all the time -- but the
larger question is how can we affect change in these situations?  In the
case of the Newborn Channel, they are backpedaling only because their bottom
line and reputation were endangered by having major subscribers drop them.

I'm interested in hearing from other lactnetters about ideas that you have
had; how do we take WebMD and others who do similar things to task? How do
we get their attention?

Kerry Ose, PhD, volunteer breastfeeding counselor