From:
clems-sapea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 01:33:16 +1000
We talk about venous engorgement of the breast which occurs before the milk
comes in properly,this seems to be about day 3.Generally wearing a firm bra
ans keeping hot water away from the breasts fixes this.Expressing generally
does nothing for it.
The only true engorgement I have seen where it was extremely difficult to
express anything from the breasts was on  primip with normally large breasts
which had been chumped by her babe through wrong attachment,I think she
actually had one of those baby's who was a barracuda.She had extremely
cracked nipples and had been advised by the( lactation consultation) midwife
looking after her at a private hospital to rest her breast.She would wear a
bra and was having ice packs applied in a vest made up from towels.She
couldn't stand to have anuone touch her breasts and was extremely reluctant
to put the baby to the breast.
I did manage to get the baby on and have it take a good feed and relieve her
a little bit.I was working an agency shift at this hospital(ND) and this was
this mum's 7th day ,suppose to be going home.I left that morning wondering
what the result of this mother's breast feeding experience was going to be.I
got the impression that as soon as she left the hospital she would be at the
chemist/supermarket buying formula supplies and equipment
Unfortunately as I went to Canada to visit my husband's family for a month
after this I never got to find out the end result.
Anne Clements RN RM BNS
Brisbane QLD
Australia