From:
Laura Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 14:57:37 EDT
Hi Marie!
This is a frequently heard statement in my "neck of the woods" as well. My
thoughts are that it is society....
I humored my mother and pumped a couple of bottles for her to feed my first
baby. But my husband was hung up on the little jars...
When could he buy them, couldn't she eat one yet?
We as a society are so brain washed by the manufacturers of these products,
that we cannot imagine having a baby with no bottles, no little jars, no
swing, no bouncy-seat, and "no crib! ... You must be joking."

Laura Wright

In a message dated 8/11/01 9:12:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I see this comment or something like it several times a week and it still
> ruffles my feathers. *My baby is 3 weeks old and I pump 3 times/day. So my
> husband can feed the baby the expressed milk in bottles. I am glad I am
> pumping, because it gives my husband and our other children a chance to
> really bond with the baby by bottle-feeding them......*
> Has anyone ever looked at who is the instigator in *dad can bond* by bottle
> feeding? Or rather the baby won't bond to dad if dad doesn't give bottles?
> Is
> it society? Is it mom? Or is it dad?  My husband hated bottle feeding our
> kids. He'd rather snuggle down with them in a chair or in bed or in a bath
> tub. Maybe he is the odd man out or something. He never felt bonding
> deprived
> or cheated by my breastfeeding.
> Is it really that important to daddy to bottle feed the baby? Do men have
> bonding issues? And why do the other kids need to get involved? I don't know
> if I could trust a 2 year old to bottle feed my baby. Nor do I know if the 2
> year old even gets it? Is it propaganda of some kind? Does mom need a break
> from feeding. I don't see how it could be a break because she has to pump
> anyway.
> Maybe our society is still equating food with love.
> Marie Davis, RN, IBCLC

"The instinctive feeling of a great people is often wiser than its wisest
men."

- Louis Kossuth
Hungarian statesman (1802-1894)