From:
Henya Kazatchkov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 00:32:10 +0300
I have been thinking about this a lot.
At what point do we give up.
And stop thinking about these cases.
Case in point - a first time Mom, I was called in by her friend. Day 7.
Baby fully breastfed, but small. And beginning to get lively, nursing every
two hours. Nursing like a champ. Main problem seemed to be that Mom was too
tired and very unsure of herself, mainly worried about baby getting enough
milk. Nice mustard-like stool, all in all no big problems. I reassured Mom,
spoke to Dad,both seemed intelligent and said they wanted to breastfeed
only. And her Mom is coming to help tomorrow.
OK.
Next day, I come, as arranged and no one is home. I called her cell. She is
in the hospital with the baby! Apparently she went to get the baby weight
to the clinic and becouse she was so nervous the nurse told them to go to
the hospital and get the baby checked. I spoke to her, trying to calm her,
then, when I realized that she is determined to stay in the hospital
advised her on pumping often and nursing as much as possible. I should have
saved my breath! And money (I payed for the calls).
It later came out that the hospital protocol was 60 ml every 3 hours with
no breastfeeding between feeds. Since she could not really pump, it was
formula. The baby spend 9 days in the hospital, being pocked and probed,
and yes, they did a spinal tap, just in case. At some point I told her that
I can not help her, since what I recommend does not agree with the doctors
orders or their own wishes. At the end baby was declared perfectly healthy.
At that point I did not charge her anything! Her friend reimbursed me for
taxi, since walking is so hard for me.
Two days after she got out of the hospital
She called me and told me how much she wanted to breastfeed, and promised
to do all I say.
Well... I told her she will have to pay me 25 shekels an hour,  so I could
pay a sitter for my kids. This is less than $8! No problem. OK, first
consult went wonderful. Baby  ate, some nipple confusion, but not much.
And, miraculously Mom has lots of milk.
Baby got fed, droped off to sleep, we brainstormed trying to solve her
problems. Mom and husband with her all day. But they got to sleep too. So
we talked about setting up a "nursing station" with a few comfy pillows,
eReader and lots of water, so she would not need to get up. Figured the
best time for Grandma to take the baby out for a walk and so on. Fed baby
again, this time with a nursing pillow, all were happy. Main thing we
agreed - no bottles.
Next day I called before coming. She says she just gave baby her bottle.
Why? She just was not going to sleep... She is so sorry...
Can I please come tomorrow?
OK, we made arrangements for 9 AM. I got there at 9.15. By that time the
baby was fed a bottle. 100ml. On top of nursing. Stomach was huge and baby
in obvious pain.
I massaged the baby, got her to poop, changed diaper and put her to sleep.
Then I walked out.
I felt that I just could not do anything more there.

--
Henya
Migdal HaEmek, Israel

Want to know me better - visit my blog<http://chickenstitches.blogspot.com/>

Chicken Stitches<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Stitches/300288370616?sk=wall>
on
Facebook
Knitting and crochet accessories from Chicken
Stitches<http://www.chickenstitches.com/> website
- because you deserve the best
Stitch markers and more from Chicken
Stitches<http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChickenStitches>