From:
maka laughingwolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 04:34:14 -0600
From: "Gonneke van Veldhuizen-Staas" <[log in to unmask]>

> old!) in the tub with her. The baby relaxed, crawled to foster mom's
breasts,
> latched and nursed as if she never done anything else. Isn't that just
great!

    oh! i'd completely forgotten about this until i read your message,
gonneke!

    a dear friend of ours is in the process of adopting...the baby was born
to a family member who used drugs and alcohol during pregnancy; no obvious
pin-pointable deficits, just one of those kids that you think something's
not quite right about, you know? anyway, they got the baby pretty young,
adoptive mom (an RN) had bf her two older children for a few weeks each, had
a total hysterectomy the year before adopting, didn't think she could
relactate because of lack of ovaries. when the baby was about 5 months old
she was bathing with mom and suddenly, in my friend's words, "she just
leaned over and latched on to my nipple! i was shocked and i think i sort of
squealed and she latched off again." this baby has never been bf at all and
by this time was taking very little formula due to severe reflux...she was
on mostly solid food by this time.

    anyway, another anecdote.

Maka Laughingwolf, feeling very prolific tonight, y'all sick of me yet? so
much for lurking...
breastfeeding peer counselor
studying toward eventual IBCLC
in Garden City, KS today but