From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 00:51:43 -0400
Hi All,
A question for those of you in the know about frenotomies.
I have a client who is having a heck of a time finding someone to do a
frenotomy on her 5 1/2 mo old baby.  She's been looking since the baby was
born.  Her Ped, and the one she just switched to, refuse to do a frenotomy
for all the stupid reasons we keep hearing;  ABM is just as goo, you can BF
with a tight fren., and no need to do a frenotomy until the kid starts
talking, etc.....  Finally, I thought about calling her dental ins. co. to
ask if they did frenotomies.  After correcting the receptionist a number of
times about the difference between a frenotomy and a frenectomy (she said
they were the same thing, thanks to you all, I know they are not) and
explaining to her that BF was VERY difficult with a tight frenulum and that
the mom ended up with shredded nipples because of her babys tight frenulum, I
got to talk to a real person who actually was surprised that the Peds didn't
just do the frenotomy.  I asked her if they (the Dental Ins co) did them, and
she said no, because they would have to sedate the baby to keep him still,
and they don't sedate anyone under 2yrs.
Is this true?  Is sedation really neccessary to do a frenotomy?  It was my
impression that it was not neccessary.
Can someone give me a detaied descrip of a frenotomy?
I did, luckily get the name of a Ped who supposedly does do frenotomies, but
will have to talk to him tomorrow.  Wish me luck.
Oh, has anyone had any luck getting a 5-6 mo old baby to go to breast who has
never been?  If this baby does finally get a frenotomy, the mom really wants
to try to get him to breast.  Is this one of those "in your dreams" wishes,
or has someone out there been really lucky?
TIA, very much!
Jay