Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:11:15 -0500
>-- does anyone remember the story of Lacey?  If someone knows more about her
>than I do (and I don't know much), perhaps you could share that on Lactnet.

Here's my story, as best I know it.  I looked for her site and couldn't find
it, after I'd e-mailed the following to Heather.  I also love telling
Lacey's story to worried mothers of 18 month olds who merely dabble in
solids...

Lois Arnold, if you're on lactnet currently, let us know if this is all
reasonably correct.

***
I always wonder, when someone asks about milk for one age baby being
appropriate for another, why there's no label on cartons of milk  telling us
how old the calves were whose mothers gave the milk.  With only the most
minor variations from one age to another, milk is milk.

Do you know the story of Lacey?  She was a highly allergic little girl in
Kansas whose mother became unable to provide milk.  She was fed banked milk
- and banked milk only, not even vitamins (because she was allergic to their
formulation) - until she was three... four... five...

I saw a picture of her at age 8, still exclusively breastmilk fed.  She
looked stocky - "overbuilt" - because of all the growth hormone she was
receiving.  And apparently she had some jaw problems because all she did was
drink, no chewing.  She went through a patch somewhere in there where even
frozen milk wasn't tolerated well; had to be fresh.  Milk was flown in daily
from here, there, and everywhere.

Nine... ten...  It was hoped that the hormones of puberty, along with
immunosuppressants, would allow her to eat solids.  And sure enough.  She
had her first school lunch at something like 12.

I read about her when she was in high school.  She won awards in 4-H, was in
the jazz band, and was working toward a couple college credits.  She was
also learning to fly a plane - the result of all that time spent watching
her milk shipments arrive.  She still consumed sizeable amounts of human
milk.

The last I knew she was in college, still somewhat dependent on human milk,
though she likes to keep that part quiet.  And she still has health problems
related to her extreme food sensitivities.  But she's lovely - shining, long
hair, sparkly eyes, indistinguishable from any other bright young woman.
And she went to college with a body and brain that were built entirely on
breastmilk for the first decade, and largely on breastmilk thereafter.

HMBANA could give you more of her story.  I believe there's a website that
talks specifically about her.
--
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com