From:
Kerry's Herbals <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:43:50 -0500
> At our hosp. we have a IBCLC staff nurse who won't assist new moms in
> lying to breastfeed. She tells them it is unsafe in that it will cause
> the baby to have an ear inf. Is there any published literature to the
> contrary that I could share with her?

I don't know if there is any research specifically on ear infections and the
nursing position, but here are some general studies on nursing and ear
infections:

Aniansson, G. et al. A prospective cohort study on breastfeeding and otitis
media in Swedish infants. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1994; 13:183-88.

Harabuchi, Y. et al. Human milk secretory IgA antibody to nontypeable
haemophilus influenzae: possible protective effects against nasopharyngeal
colonization. J Pediatr 1994; 124(2)193-98."

Also, when you think about it logically, it makes no sense that nursing
lying down would cause ear infections. In the side lying position, the ony
difference is the MOTHER is lying down. The baby is ALWAYS in a reclined or
side lying position when nursing. Do doctors say you shouldn't nurse in the
cradle hold because that position causes a risk of ear infections? Of course
not! It's just an example of people using formula feeding logic on breastfed
babies.

Kerry Luskey
LLLL, Minneapolis