From:
Noelle Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 10:55:33 +0100
Our LC is out of town and asked me (just an OB nurse) to be available to
start mom breastfeeding tomorrow after repeat C/S via spinal anesthesia.

This gravida three tried to BF 1st but couldn't get babe to latch on.
Sounds mostly because she didn't want to touch her breasts,and was
embarrassed by efforts of staff to help.  She told me on phone that she
will probably turn red as soon as I walk into the room.  She also said she
can't imagine exposing her breasts and having a baby sucking on her.
States too that she feels people will think she is nursing to satisfy her
own sexual pleasure.

Mom lives in community one hundred miles away (so our contact with her is
limited) but we offer the closest facility for delivery.  LC said there is
no formal support group in her town and mom told her friends said she
shouldn't bother to BF - as she didn't even try with the second child.  Mom
says this is her last child and she really wants to breastfeed.

I feel like without the benefit of developing a close relationship with her
I can't explore her sexual feelings.  My only real brainstorm was to try to
put the babe skin to skin with lots of blankets draped for privacy and then
describe how to get nipple available for latch on (without touching mom and
only a casual glance to evaluate progress) and hope nature will take its
course.

I'm not looking forward to this.

Any ideas?

Noelle