From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 00:44:25 -0700
> Hi ,
>I have a mom who is a vegetarian and eats lots of beans which in turn gives the
>baby gas.  She wonders if she takes Beano tablets or drops if that will
stop not
>only her gas but the baby's gas and of course will the Beano be harmful to the
>infant. in the breastmilk? Tom Hale , I hope you are not on vacation and can
>answer this booming question??
>Thanks
>Jan Aken

I am going to stick my neck out a bit.  I have always understood that beans
(as well as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc) caused gas by the breakdown
of fiber in the gut.  In order for the beans to give the baby gas, it would
seem that the fiber would need to pass into her blood and then into her milk
OR the gas would have to pass into her blood and then into her milk.  Both
unlikely if not impossible scenarios.

Here in the southwest everyone eats lots of beans.  Usually, we find the gas
problems are the same as everywhere else.  Foremilk, hindmilk imbalance.
Baby drinking too fast.  Baby crying a lot.  I imagine there could be an
allergy (protein) problem with the beans, especially if the baby was
overexposed to the beans, but how likely would this be.  Good luck with this
mom.  If the Beano does work, let us know.

Happy Holidays,

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix, Arizona USA