Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 16:55:52 +0100
Monique highlighted this news story in the UK which publicised a book on
manners which criticised 'public' bf.

In fact, this caused quite a media stir here - but I really think the good
guys won! I heard two radio phone ins myself, and heard of other TV chats
about it, and there have been opinion pieces in a number of newspapers.  On
the whole, the idea it's somehow 'bad manners' to feed where other people
are was condemned and the view expounded in the book was laughed at,
belittled and treated with the outrage it deserved.

That's not to say that mothers are welcome to feed anywhere  in the UK -
another list I am on had a story (recent) when a mother was asked to stop
bf in Macdonalds. She just said 'no' - she replied she was offering fast
food, just the same as they were, and she'd stay there with her meal, and
her older children who were also eating, and with her baby. No one
insisted, but of course not everyone is able to say 'no' when challenged.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcasle upon Tyne UK