From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:03:03 -0300
> Does this mother feel she needs to wean completely, or would she be happy if
> she returned to day-time nursing and cut out the night nursing? Could she
> cope with daytime nursing if she wasn't nursing at night, or if she was
> nursing less often at night? That is another option you might offer.

Theresa's suggestions are great, as usual... I like the way she
expressed the fact that the baby's needs are being met. As a mother of
frequent and long-term night-waker, I felt "heard" when a helper told
me, "You are meeting your baby's needs; let's see how we can meet
yours." My preferred option was to find time to have a nap during the
day. My efforts to make time made me win the label of Queen of Creative
Sleep. :-) Somehow, knowing that I would be able to get some rest the
next day made it easier to get through all the night-feedings.
"Spot-sleeping" falls in the same category as "spot-weaning" or
shortening durations of the feed, as ways of deferring the urge to wean
completely.
Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes
Fredericton