From:
Tara Guy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:38:52 -0600
does anyone have quick access to some studies showing that premies (the ones in question are 32 week triplets, now two weeks old) learn better to feed at breast than bottle?

The babies in question are not being allowed to breastfeed until they can prove themselves to "nipple feed" 10cc's/feed with a bottle, for full feeds (24 or 48 hours).   They have been allowed to "non-nutritive suck" at breast after mom pumps, and have been taking breastmilk by NG tube so far for all feeds.

These babies are completely healthy, no oxygen, nothing.  Have been kangarooing and latching to breast beautifully per mom.

(I'm helping mom long distance - and she is my HERO right now with providing breastmilk for these triplets.)

Tara Guy, PA-C, IBCLC, HBCERocky Mountain Babyhelping mothers birth and parent from the heartwww.rockymountainbaby.com