Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:21:20 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
In a message dated 4/21/2003 1:09:58 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> My question was the opposite, to those who always dictated
> that moms always switch breasts, did they never run into
> problems with this?

I've got a feeling we're all saying essentially the same thing in different ways. Never felt it was up to me or anyone else to "dictate" that moms switch breasts. I think it's desirable due to implications of assignation all else being equal, but since most MOT I know tend to switch only on a 24 hour basis, I think that format may achieve the benefits (mainly to mom) of switching and "same breast" advantages for each baby. (If a mother was switching within or every other feeding, I'd still probably first suggest 24 hour switching for a few days before moving to assignation.) What I usually hear from a mother of twins is that a nurse, doctor or LC "dictated" assigning a breast (for no specific reason)--not the reverse. I cannot imagine giving a mother an intervention without some kind of rationale.

Following each baby's (x2 or more) cues re: OK with switching, demos a preference for a specific breast, or shows signs of not tolerating switching usually seems to work best. Or if a method seems the "thing to do" for a MOT, she should go for it. Bottom line--if it ain't broke, no point in fixing; but if it isn't working, try something different for several days--and if that doesn't work, try another something different (re: principles of outcome-oriented therapy).

Karen

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2