Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:02:30 EST
In a message dated 2/26/2008 11:14:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Waking  in the night for confort/contact is normal behaviour at this
age and a lot  older too, though I appreciate not all mothers in our
western culture want  to accept it  :(         >>>>>
yes, and, as you say, older, ......2.5-3yrs could be the "norm" in general,
and as you say many of us may not understand or want to accept this  norm (
like me with first baby) ....Cindy's mom may have heard some other moms  talk
about their baby sleeping 8, 10, 12 hrs/night which may be the norm for a
particular baby.

along with the optimal co-sleeping, or maybe close  sleeping, suggestion,
Cindy could gently suggest the  option of the exhausted mom sleeping some during
the day with baby,  ...revise her expectations in the area of sleep and
daytime activities  (is mom over-doing it during the day? ...how many hours is the
baby's  night-time sleep expectation?) ...have someone else, like
husband/partner, do a  quiet, dimly lit bottle feeding of *just enough* pumped milk during
night,  ....attend a breastfeeding moms group

Debbie  Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE

Fairfax County, Virginia suburbs  outside the Washington DC beltway

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)