From:
Linda Madsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:31:33 -0800
I am also one of the LC's here on the list with
natural rubber latex (NRL) allergy.  If a healthcare
professional (HCP) would use a latex finger cot or
glove on a child of mine, I would not be able to
safely breastfeed or provide care for the infant
afterwards without risk of anaphylaxis.  I wouldn't
allow a HCP into my home before I ascertained they had
no NRL products with them due to my experiences.  I
have had 2 episodes just being in an area where NRL
products were in use.  My advice is to ask the parents
ahead of time and just use the synthetic alternatives
available.  Having worked as a nurse for years before
the advent of universal precautions, I am most
interested in seeing healthcare providers washing
their hands thoroughly. If good handwashing isn't
done, then donning gloves is next to useless.

Part of a thorough health assessment is to ask about
allergies.  Routinely including questions about
allergies/history of atopic disease in a dyad should
be included whenever an intake interview is obtained.

Sincerely,
Linda Madsen, RN, IBCLC