From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 09:13:44 -0500
My husband is blind, which I suppose qualifies me as a
consultant on this topic :)

The foremost suggestion I can offer is: be direct, and ask the
blind woman to let you know how you can best serve her
needs.  And, don't worry if you say things like "See you
later!" etc. (My husband said to add that; people are always
embarrassed and apologizing to him for using sight related
phrases.)

She may be planning to bring a tape recorder,  or you might
suggest it. Ask if she has found breastfeeding materials on
tape or in braille.  I know LLLI has some materials; my
husband read the "Womanly Art..."  And he was in touch
with blind parents referred to him by LLLI who gave him "new
dad support" via long distance telephone calls!  They were a
goldmine of practical information (how to manage a stroller --
push chair -- when using a cane or guide dog, for instance).
In the USA, materials on tape are available from the Library
of Congress lending library, which most blind people
subscribe to; I imagine a similar service is offered in your
country as well. If you have hand-outs for the class, ask the
person if she would like you to put the information on tape for
her.

The doll is a great idea; likely the blind woman will need
someone to demonstrate for her what you are telling the
group (about positioning, etc.) Her support person can do
this; or, maybe you can divide the group into pairs to assist
each other, and that will give the sighted person and the blind
partner each a chance to coach. Since she will be assessing
her baby's latch by feel (a superior method!) be specific
about how bf "should" feel, how much of the breast needs to
be in the baby's mouth, etc.

I will never forget the comment made to me by a blind friend.
She was telling me about her experience in the hospital
when she had her first baby. "The nurse came in and asked
me did I need any help. I said no, I thought I was OK. So she
left me alone. She treated me like any other new mom. She
trusted that I was capable." Sounds simple, but keep it in
mind. BTW: my friend is capable. She has three kids (now
grown), keeps a spotless house, was a Girl Scout leader,
volunteers her time in a variety of ways -- and generally
makes me feel like a lazy slob.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Medical Department