Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:42:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I believe the volumes estimated are well under.  Babies who are formula fed in the US (even babies who are bottlefed EBM) are grossly overfed.  The amounts of milk these babies are forced to ingest ...shocks me everytime!  Starting with 2 oz/feeds  on day one!  Reclined feeding positioning (gravity push) fast flow nipples, 9 oz bottles, collapseable bag systems etc.  I often compare it in my mind to  "beer funneling" (possible if you have college age children or went to college yourself, you know what I am talking about)   
How many times have you heard "professionals" tell parents, "Give him whatever he'll take." or "they'll know when to stop."  As we all know, babies have no control over the flow and are just trying to deperately keep up.  (proven in many studies) When a baby downs a bottle quickly, it is viewed by the caregiver that the baby was starving. Then when the baby is fussy afterwards it's viewed that the baby is still hungry. When is fact the baby was just "assaulted" by the bottle.  Not to mention, spitting up, crying and sick babies are all considered "normal" in the US.
Let's face it, parents model as do children.  They are just doing what they see done by those around them or those they consider to be experts.
I find that when I explain bottlefeeding in a different way (common sense explanation) the parents get it.  Most are happy to accomodate by either not offering bottles "just because" or using alternative feeding methods or using bottlefeeding techniques that are more baby-friendly.   

I could go on and on, but I won't!
Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Postpartum Place
Chatham, NJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2