From:
Lenina Monroe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 18:29:28 +1000
Dear all,
What would you have done?
I am a midwife, small rural hospital, Australia.  On going to work
yesterday, looked after new mum who had had a long labour, failed to
progress, delivered by Caesarian under Epidural anaesthetic.  Now day 3, my
first time looking after this mum as I had days off to attempt some exam on
Monday 26th!
Baby jaundiced, still sticky black meconium stools, 1 wet nappy in past 24
hours, mum's nipples getting very sore- graze one one.  Mums breasts very
soft, small amount colostrum expressable by hand ie approx half a ml at a
time.
Baby appeared to be well attached and good positioning, suckling effective
but short periods, becoming frustrated.  At breast on and off from 1530hrs
to 1900hrs, mum had adequate pain relief for post Caesar, uneventful
recovery except for spiking temperature day 1 and 2 was given iv antibiotics
48 hours.
I had tried hand expressing opposite side to obtain ebm to supply/encourage
baby to stay at breast, several times.
Mother had had afternoon sleep, however had lots of visitors at one period,
I found baby then had dummy in mouth,  had previously explained problems
with dummy etc.
By 1900 both mum and husband were very fragile, requesting formula,
suggestions for mother to lie down to feed and discussion re that the baby
needs and is normal to want constant feeding at this time,  were beginning
to be met with open agitation from parents.
Therefore I gave via supply line 30 mls formula to baby who then slept til I
was just about to go off duty.
Though I explained this should be a one off comp,  I feel a failure and am
sure both parents will not agree that this shouldn't be repeated because it
"worked" ie baby fell asleep!
I go to work tonight 2230hrs.... any help would be appreciated to my email :
Thankyou,
Barbara Stokes