Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:00:54 +0000
>I have been talking on the phone (in another state!) to a first time mom.
>Her baby girl is 4 weeks old, was 6# 2oz. at birth and is still 6# 2 oz.
>(she was down to 5# 8 oz. a week after birth).

So this is a gain of 10 ounces in 3 weeks.  Maybe this baby will pick up,
now that feeding seems to be going well, from the rest of what you say.

>She nurses well, swallowing
>is heard, lots of wet diapers, and yellow, seedy stools.

This sounds fine.  How often is she feeding? Can she feed more often, if
weight is considered to be a problem?

> Mom has tried all
>kinds of things (she is working with an IBCLC in her city - I am just
>offering support as a friend of her mom) - switching sides, using one side
>per feeding, etc.

Is the 'etc'  feeding more often, including at night?

>Yesterday, the LC spun her milk down and told her it was low in fat (26%) -
>and that she needs a 2500 diet to increase her milk fat content.

But we know that fat content in breast milk differs according to frequency
of feeds, and according to the point in the feed the milk is collected.  I
am not aware of any studies that show increasing the calorie content of a
mother's intake increases the fat content (and therefore weight gain) of
the baby. The research shows that intervening in this way makes no
difference .

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK