From:
Jackie Kampp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:27:12 -0700
Here, here Michelle!!!  I have been trying to think of what to say and you did it for me!!!!!

A fellow aspiring IBCLC and current "Certified" Lactation Counselor (Too many other little (4yrs, 21mos, and -3 months) things going on.....not to mention my "other job (s)".

Jackie Kampp, RN, BSN, PHN
Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program
Placer County Breastfeeding Coordinator
Co-President of the Breastfeeding Coalition of Placer County

>>> Michelle DePesa <[log in to unmask]> 06/11/01 12:39PM >>>
here are my .2 on the certification issue.

I fully realise that IBCLC (my goal) is the true, worldwide recognised
designation for lc's, but all lcs had to start somewhare, and more and more
frequently we are seeing ibclc's "begin" as  clc's.

Of course the hours req. for ibclcs make them more knowledgable and
experienced. That is part of why I want (na dam working) to be part of that
group, what an accomplishment!  however, what needs to be acknowledged is
however "less" a clc, cle etc designation is, these women have had MUCH MUCH
more education already then RN's and MD's. For a random example, let's look
at my situation - I am "only"  a CLC, and I have had more than 150 hours of
education specifically in lactation, including a very worthwhile
"certification" sheepskin from an excellent institution. My best friend who
began working as a labor and delivery RN last year has had SIX hours of
education in lactation. Yet she (since there is only one ibclc in the entire
hospital, 40 hours) and the other RNs are the major influence and only help
for most new moms breastfeeding (this is a large city hospital). As recently
as last weekend she did not know major "make-or-break- the- breastfeeding-
relationship" info such as the fact that most medication is safe during
lactation, and that there are excellent texts (Hale) to look meds up in.
I understand doctors get even less breastfeeding info in medical school than
this nurse got. I also understand that many doctors get their breastfeeding
info from formula comapny materials. in this country there are still
(relatively) few ibclc's. Some hospitals have none on staff.

clc's and cle's and LLL etc. are the crucial middle ground - knowledgeable
about breastfeeding (often FAR more so than the medical staff), not
affilitaed with ABM (or pump) companies, yet more plentiful at this time
then ibclc's.

I would absolutely call a LLL or CLC or CLE before calling my general
practitioner with a breastfeeding issue. ideally I would call an ibclc!
however in many folk's financial situation they can only "afford" volunteer
help.

if we are critical enough of these programs to discredit them, what are we
left with? The last pediatrician's office I was in had ABM notepads! I am
really worried about the "all-or-nothing" slant; as this will only hurt
breastfeeding success.

The ladder to IBCLC is long and (rightly) rigorous. But I don't want to
think those that make it to the top won't hold it steady for those still
climbing.

There is reason to worry about liability, of course. This is sad because
with discrediting these "pre-ibclc" and peer programs, we are really
throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Michelle DePesa, (IBCLC aspirant)