From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:56:44 -0800
Karleen said:
We're lucky here in Aust- our government provides guidelines for health
workers on infant feeding and this includes advice on the use of formula
which says in essence that there's no difference between formulas, none is
better or worse than the other- buy the cheapest- easy!

In my opinion, this is a tactic that is long overdue in the US - accepting the formula manufacturer's false claims without a challenge has led to misinformation being given to the entire population - both health care providers (who tell moms to give their babies the "best" formula) and everyone else!

Just as "unsafe at any speed" released a whole slew of requirements for auto safety and correct information about it, we need to have those (including the US government, who, through WIC is the largest purchaser of the stuff) who are consumers be informed about what is actually included and NOT included in formula.

I have also been wondering lately about the "brand loyalty" that has led to such mayor upheavals when WIC purchases a different brand - WHY should babies have the same formula day after day, week after week, month after month - our breastmilk changes all the time????

What if we just had a "government issue" formula with a generic label that would NOT MARKET the formula they were purchasing?   Just like the Government issue cheese and milk we used to get in Puerto Rico (and the PEANUT BUTTER that our culture would NEVER consume...)?

Of course I would like to think that all moms would eventually breastfeed - but if we can't get to that point this decade, can we get to the point where the government is not MARKETING formula?

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA