From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:04:18 -0400
<<I have been contacted by a client that is experiencing hair loss, lack
of
> appetite and migraine headaches.  She has been exclusively breastfeeding
> for 5 months.  She doesn't have a regular physician but a clinic dr told
> her to stop breastfeeding and the hair loss would stop.  She has a
> history
> of poor appetite during the pregnancy as well.  She did try to give the
> baby formula but he won't take it. I am encouraging her to see another
> doctor for a full workup but she has not been able to find one that will
> take medicaid. I have also recommended she increase her protein and iron
> intake but she says she just can't eat any more as she gets nauseated.>>

She may be extremely extremely zinc deficient among other things.  so
many things described above fit zinc deficiency:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=zinc+deficiency+hair+loss

If there is a zinc deficiency there are likely  other nutrient
deficiencies as well.   however, it could also be something more
critical.

Maybe she could go back to the same doctor and explain that many women
breastfeed for long periods of time without significant hair loss and
what else can it be?

Doesn't sound like a nutritionist would be possible b/c of the financial
situation......wonder if she'd be able to do just a very basic multi
(since all major medical organizations are now recommending it anyway,
it's not like it's controversial to recommend it) and some zinc if you'd
feel comfortable recommending it.   It's inexpensive and if one starts
with a brand of zinc lozenge (23-25mg) that tastes relatively good to
them, it will taste horrible and metalic when they reach tissue
sufficiency of zinc.

I have tons of ideas but with the medicaid issue i'm afraid that many of
her suggestions would be out of reach.

Perhaps she could go back to the dr, say she's weaned and ask 'now
what'.   there are other things i'd be concerned about as well....

Does she have access to the internet (home or any public library) to
research any of the nutritional/alternative stuff:
http://healthinfo.healthgate.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&
chunkiid=21376

<<Principal Proposed Natural Treatments
Essential Oils

One study suggests that a combination of essential oils applied
topically may stimulate hair growth in people with alopecia areata. In
this double-blind placebo-controlled trial, 84 people massaged either
essential oils or a non-treatment oil into their scalps each night for 7
months.3 The results showed that 44% of those in the treatment group
experienced new hair growth compared to only 15% of the control group.
The treatment oil contained essential oils of thyme, rosemary, lavender,
and cedarwood, in a base of grape seed and jojoba oils.

Although there are no reported side effects associated with using thyme,
rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood oils topically, essential oils can be
toxic if taken internally. They can also cause allergic reactions, which
may be severe, when applied topically. For more information, see the
full essential oil article.>>