From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 14:29:07 -0400
Would You Believe dept:
Vermont was considering universal health care, and since my state rep was
the head of the health care committee, I was chosen to give testimony
about lcs (yes, we would have been included - paid! - in the bill, which
unfortunately did not pass).
The state senator who was our "sponsor" insisted I include info about
erectile tissue and hormones.  I don't have a copy of my speech with me,
but it ran something like,
"You've seen the videos and read the books...you know how it's supposed
to go...but now the time has come and that sweet young thing is looking
up at you with those beautiful eyes..."
I thought my rep was going to fall on the floor laughing (the other
members of the staid committe looked like they'd been hit by lightning).
At the end of the testimony on lcs, The Honorable Mr. Campbell, said,
"We'd like to thank you for some of the most entertaining testimony we've
had in a long time."
By the way, childbirth educators here just finished work on the wording
of a bill that will have Medicaid pay for childbirth classes.  Lactation
services are scheduled to be next.  I thank God for the Vermont
department of Health which is truly committed to healthy mothers and
babies, and for the local nurses who have gotten themselves educated
about lactation, promote breastfeeding, and call me to encourage me when
I'm feeling frustrated!  (And Ellen Forsythe, PHN, are you lurking yet??)
Dawn M. Kersula, FACCE,IBCLC, student ADN and Green Mtn Mama