From:
Annie VerSteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2015 06:53:01 -0700
At the end of Jennifer's incredible Lacnet post, she states,

"I am one of those folks who rarely posts here anymore, even though I have
been a member of LN for decades and have thousands of posts in the
archives--many on all of these issues. But, what I have seen in recent
years is an unwillingness to reach beyond the very narrow knowledge base
this field now retains to answer the very urgent questions our clients
have. It has been very discouraging and I would rather spend my time
unraveling these issues than arguing about why they need to be unraveled.
But, Lisa's post resonated with all that I am seeing among my family, my
clients and within other fields where there are also pioneers willing to be
curious. I hope more IBCLCs will become curious about these issues as well.
IMO, that's the level of humility we require to effectively serve the
families we care for."

I agree 100% with all that she says. I especially notice, here on Lacnet,
an unwillingness to move beyond a very narrow scope of knowledge.
IBCLC's come here to be validated for their limited scope, and lament how
they are 'beaten up' on the FB pages.

We are hurting the women and babies who turn to us by not acknowledging
what they already know: "something is wrong" and theses mamas get blown off
regularly. It's no wonder we live in a society of overly medicated people
on antidepressants.

Some how, some way, we have managed to continue to dismiss/diminish women
and their power and knowledge. They are raising the next generation. They
deserve our respect and our help. They deserve our best. They deserve
answers.

I will continue to listen, help and resolve issues with new mommies who
seek out my care. I will continue to accompany them for releases so we can
do a consult immediately after. I will continue to refer them to body
workers who are in it for the health benefits and not the paycheck. I will
continue to stand up to those with limited knowledge and call them out on
it.
Annie VerSteeg IBCLC