Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:40:17 EST
In a message dated 1/19/00 9:46:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Does anyone have any innovative suggestions to help a mother of a
 premature baby, now 36 weeks corrected, who is having problems holding
 her baby during breastfeeds due to the pain in her hands? The carpal
 tunnel problem only occurs when she breastfeeds and this has happened
 with her previous prem baby.  >>

 When she is holding the baby in the cradle hold, her wrist needs to be
straight, with the hand cupping the baby's butt, while keeping the arm and
wrist straight.. Many times the baby is being  "clutched" by the mom with her
wrist hyperextended. Also, she should wear her brace while nursing.
I have a cyst that is on my wrist and I had to pay attention to how I held my
baby as not to stress the wrist. In all the BFing positions, the mom needs to
be sure her wrist is straight.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Ayden NC ( where we had 3 inches of snow yesterday--the first snow in eastern
NC since 1998)