From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:08:55 -0600

>The formula and the microwave-thawed samples grew similar and large amounts
>of bacteria.  The samples that were thawed at room temperature, even the one
>that had been thawed and re-frozen, grew almost nothing, as did the freshly
>expressed milk.  This is part of the reason we advise against thawing or
>warming breastmilk in a microwave oven, the other part being the risk of
>burns to the baby from uneven heating of the milk.

Rachel, thank you for sending this. I  believe that you shared it with us
earlier but I had forgotten it. This is an important piece of information.

We have said that milk that has been frozen is to be treated differently
from that which has been only refrigerated--fed within a couple of hours
and then tossed. This recommendation is not based on evidence. I wrote of a
client whose husband fed the baby milk that had been frozen, thawed, and
had been in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. They were extremely worried until
they saw that the baby was not bothered at all by his "aged" snack.

I don't recommend keeping milk that long but it just shows how resilient
and "alive" a substance human milk is. And how little we know.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]