From:
Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 19:19:48 PDT
Hi - It is sad how many of us need the article on just one bottle, myself included. I seem to
remember that in Penny Stanway's book, "Breast is Best" she mentions that one bottle changes the
intestinal flora for two weeks. The head nurse of the nursery told me that "just one bottle"
could not hurt a baby...and I must say I was not very diplomatic. The statement was uttered to
justify why a woman who delivered a baby at 6pm could not have full breastfeeding. That first
night she would be to weak to walk to the baby, and might fall; there is not enough night staff
to supervise the mother in her first feed (they don't exactly do that during the day shift); the
mother may fall asleep and drop the baby....oh dear, just telling this is ruining the effect of
my yoga class...And then came the clincher..".just one bottle".The 18 hour UNICEF course (page
4) has a sentence that the addition of anything, even water, increases risks and diminishes
benifits. We shall overcome. Toby in boiling hot Haifa...but who is preceptoring two bright
student nurses...there is hope.
Name: Toby Gish R.N.LLLL.IBCLC
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
"What is essential is invisible to the eye..."
    Antoine De Saint-Exupery