From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 17:20:03 EDT
Dear Friends:
    My client's baby just won't gain weight. She was born spontaneously, via
an unmedicated labor. She has cardiac defects that will require surgery
(presently on digoxin and some diuretic) and also has reflux. She is a terrible
feeder; one day she might get the 17 ounces in that she is supposed to have, and
the next day she vomits three times.
    The mother has tons of milk, is dedicated, has tried a variety of bottle
nipples (no way will this baby breastfeed), and adds some of her cream to her
milk.
    The pediatrician is insisting that she start the baby on high-calorie
formula. The mother did take the cardiologist's recommendation to add powdered
formula to the EBM, which made the baby have diarrhea.
    Is there any evidence that babies with Down's syndrome gain better on
formula? I quoted Dr. Gail Hertz's comment from the Little Green Book about
babies with Down's syndrome gaining poorly no matter what they were fed. However,
this mother is feeling outnumbered as her husband is starting to say that maybe
they should feed this baby formula.
    This baby somehow got a urinary tract infection and was hospitalized for
a few days when she was only 10 days old. A baby whose immune system is that
precarious, would in my mind, be best off on human milk. But I don't know
enough.
    So I am asking 3,000+ friends.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
Maternal-Child Adjunct Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative