From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:21:32 EST
Dear Pat and others,
Your story of the 4 mth old and poor wt gain reminded me of an experience I
had with a baby a couple of years ago, also 4 mths old! Bear with me if I
have shared this story before, can't remember.........Anyway, a Mom called to
rent a pump, when I explored the reason for this (which I always do), she
explained that her Pedi recommended it because the baby had gained no weight
from 3-4 mth. checkups and he wanted to know exactly how much milk she was
producing. She went on to say that if she managed to pump 32oz. /day or more
than he would assume the problem wasn't the amount of milk taken in but must
be another problem and would embark on a metabolic workup. Bizarre enough I
know but when she came to rent the pump I noticed an awake, placid baby
sucking on his paci in the car seat.....turns out she was feeding this very
agreeable baby only 4x/day, on a 8,12,4and 8 schedule, he slept 12 hours at
night and calmed easily with the pacifier in between! My attempts at gentle
and then not so gentle persuasion met on deaf ears! She really didn't feel
comfortable "questioning" her pediatrician.

I agree with Pat, however, that pacifiers have their place and better yet
believe that we need to be cautious about condeming their use based on the
results of the referenced studies. I believe we need much more evidence.
Lynn SheaRn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts