From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:51:06 -0500
Presently the CBI RL has the privilege of "mining" Kay Hoover's article collection for "gems".  In other words, articles that we don't already have in the 23,000 present collection - and YES, we do find articles we don't have!

Anyway, this is from a 1993 conference by Candy Woesner and Judith Lauwers.  I'm guessing they were the speakers/authors.

Ten Steps to Empowering Women

1. return control of feeding to the infant.
2. Trust mothers and babies.
3. Keep  mothers and babies together.
4. Accept without judging.
5. validate feelings, emotions, concerns.
6. Approach each mother and baby as unique.
7. Serve as facilitator.

      Tell me and I may remember.
      Show me and I may understand.
      Involve me and I may master.

8. Keep your hands in your pockets.
9. Observe at least one breastfeed.
10. Make learning fun.

Regarding #8 - I remember an annual eval as hosp LC and I was criticized for keeping my hands in my pockets- do you know how hard I'd hold on to the fabric sometimes?  Pat in SNJ