Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 07:47:01 EST
Ages ago I posted about a mom that had excruciating pain when the baby
latched on -- way out of proportion to what it "should" be.  It wasn't a
positioning issue; the nipples were not traumatized in any way, and this was
lasting much longer than most initial "latch-on pain."  Anyway, I've been
feeling remiss for not posting the end of the story:

Jean Cotterman kindly posted me personally with a possible solution to the
problem which made a LOT of sense, we tried it -- and it worked!  Mom is pain
free....  This is Jean's response to the dilemma:

"There are milk-containing dilatations beneath the areola that are, in some
new mothers, overdistended, and very painful if the "belly" of the dilatation
is compressed when overdistended.

"A hot washcloth held over the areola for 3+ minutes will raise the pain
thrshhold.  Then gentle digital extraction of 5 - 10 drops will begin to be
less and less painful as the overdistention is resolved.  of course, the MER
triggered during all of this will also help to move the milk and undistend
the "sinus.""

When I followed up with mom after suggesting this might work, she told me it
did work -- she was delighted, was now nursing pain free -- and on a further
followup, did not have to do it any more.  So I want to say a public thank
you to Jean -- and to also say how much I enjoy and appreciate her thoughtful
posts.  She, along with several others on this list, ALWAYS make me think and
look at my practices in a new light.

Jan Barger in Wheaton, eagerly awaiting son Tim's "debut" this week in the
high school musical, "Fiddler on the Roof."