Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:29:06 -0600
I have a client who is breastfeeding, most successfully, her 2 month old
baby with Down Syndrome.  Next week they are taking him to a clinic that
specializes in Downs and one of the things that they will be getting is
recommendations for vitamins.

She said that the people whom she had talked with there said that the
nutritional requirements for babies with D/S are different and they want to
be sure that he gets the vitamins that he needs.

Are there different requirements for these babies?  Doesn't breastmilk have
_everything_ that he needs until his iron stores begin to be used up and he
needs some solid foods?

He was full term and is growing very well and doesn't have trouble with
congestion.

I didn't question her consultation with the clinic, because I wasn't sure
that I knew enough.  What say you folks?

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin