From:
Aaron Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:37:27 +1100
Hi Valerie,

I for one absolutely believe that formula feeding is related to child
mortality and I think that the figures could be even higher than the 4 in
1000 mentioned BUT why aren't there the studies around? Why is this paper
the only one? Why is the only estimate we have based on figures from England
from the 1970s (gosh that's 30 years ago)? Why aren't there studies from the
US, Australia, France etc? Surely it could be done and my guess is that a
range of mortality rates would be the result. I am just not at all
comfortable with spouting a figure based on one paper, using old data, from
a particular region and extrapolating it to now, everywhere in the Western
world. It's not good science!

Karleen Gribble
Australia
  _ ---_|\