From:
Karen Kavesh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:32:22 EDT
My understanding (based on info gathered as the mom of an eczematous kid)is
that eczema and food allergies often co- exist, but the relationship is not
necessarily causal.  Eczema indicates an underlying allergic"predispostion"
as it were.  In other words, it's possible to identify and eliminate the food
allergens without seeing a cessation of the eczema.

I do counsel moms whose babies have eczema to be cautious and observant when
introducing solid foods, particularly the most common allergens. The baby of
a friend of mine(mom and babe with eczema)nearly died from an anaphylactic
reaction  the second time he ate eggs, for example.

In addition, eczema or a family history of eczema is associated with asthma
or reactive airway  disease---so wheezing or coughing in a child with eczema
always deserves a second look, imho.

Also, the very nature of eczema is that it waxes and wanes in an
unpredictable fashion, which makes it difficult and often frustrating to try
and identify individual triggers.