From:
Kathy & Paul Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:33:26 -0400
I am forwarding this as it was returned to the Lactnet administrators as
undeliverable.  Please note this post was not written by me!!

Kathy

>Sara:
>
>   I need to jump in and say that I am not as happy with this book as
> clearly you are.
>
>   I feel that she extrapolates data that can not andshould not be
> extrapolated they way she is doing.
>
>   I would be much happier with editorial comments form IBCLC's along with
> the stories as there is much that I think might have been handled
> differently in many of them  and I think mothers should know of the other
> options and perspectives available.
>
>  Patricia

Hi, Patricia,

I am very intrigued by your comments.  Naturally, accuracy was my foremost
concern in writing the book.  In what way do you believe data were
inaccurately extrapolated?

I most definitely agree that the BFAR experiences (as depicted in the
stories that were included after each chapter) in almost each instance
should have been managed more effectively.  Had these mothers been under
the care of an LLL Leader or IBCLC who was knowledgeable about BFAR, the
outcomes almost certainly would have been greatly improved.  However, as
you may recall from the Introduction, this caveat is stated:

~~~~~~~~~~
"Following each chapter, you will read the stories of women who were able
to breastfeed following breast reduction surgery, in their own words.  They
generously shared their stories so that you can gain insights into this
experience and learn how they weathered challenges that you may also
face.   These first BFAR mothers were courageous pioneers -- women who
defied convention and the discouraging advice of so many professionals to
give their own milk to their babies -- and it is they who have provided the
body of knowledge that makes the success of today's women possible.

As you read these stories, keep in mind that no two BFAR situations are
alike.  The physiological capabilities, the circumstances, prior knowledge,
even the personality of the mother and baby, greatly influence the BFAR
experience.  Most importantly, these mothers were attempting to breastfeed
in a time when very little was known about it and so their efforts were
greatly trial-and-error.   They had no real way to prepare for BFAR and
they did not have accurate information upon which to base their
decisions.  Although you may have much in common with several of the
experiences described here, with this book in hand you will have much
better information to help you prepare for BFAR so that you will maximize
your lactation potential and avoid much of the emotional trauma that these
valiant BFAR pioneers endured."

~~~~~~~~~~

In writing this caveat, I attempted to convey that the stories were not
meant to be examples of management ideals.  They were included with minimal
editing to give readers a nonglamourous sense of the tremendous range of
BFAR experiences, especially in conditions of poor information and
support.  Some experiences were handled relatively well; others ended
poorly precisely because the mother had incorrect information or little
support.  Amazingly, even given sub-optimal conditions, the sense of deep
appreciation for whatever amount of breastfeeding that occurred shines
through so strongly.  It was that aspect that impressed me and my editors
so deeply.  The most important point of including the stories is to
demonstrate the value that the mothers in the stories found in BFAR, even
when it was tremendously difficult.  And they can be reassured that they
will have the opportunity of a better outcome because they have better
information and resources for support.

I agree that it would be very valuable for an IBCLC analysis to follow each
story.  It was not included in this edition for considerations of
space.  However, it may be a possibility for a future edition.

Thank you very much for your interesting feedback about this book.

Diana West
Executive Director
BFAR, Inc.

http://www.bfar.org