From:
Yasmeen Effath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:19:57 -0800
Celina, bless you for sending this link out I have been going through a tough time not knowing how to identify this. There is interesting observation I have; not sure if that is right though - experts can pitch in to clarify. While I watched this video I had a eureka kind of a moment. I noticed that Catherine Watson Genna mentions in her book (Supporting Sucking Skills in Infants) that when the tongue is released fully you will get to see a diamond shape and I also noticed the same thing being mentioned in link Jane Cotterman shared a few days ago http://www.tonguetieclipit.com/Introduction.html where Dr. Murphy speaks about when he releases the tight frenulum, it opens into a diamond shape. Therefore at first glance of baby assessment if you do not see a obvious tight frenulum under the baby's tongue and also NOT see a diamond shape there is big possibility for a posterior ankyloglossia! you will see this in this video where when the physician's
 fingers releases the pressure on the back of the tongue there is nothing seen there no string like frenulum and no diamond shape either and it almost looks smooth with no vein like structures which you normally see under the tongue.

I had been having a hard time with a 5 week old baby unable to nurse without causing teeth grinding pain (biting causing bleeding nipples) to the mother and several physicians have seen her and all have dismissed any possible TT or for that matter any problem at all with baby's tongue and that some mothers will have bleeding nipples and soreness which the mother has to bear if she wants to continue breastfeeding! This baby's back of the tongue flashes in mind as I see it video "no diamond shape"!

Yasmin MA,HDSE,CLEC,LLLL,IBCLC
www.nourishandnurture.in

(drawing strength from all of you after I had a meltdown last night while planning to get my 4 year old daughter tight frenulum clipped (cause of difficult 3 years of breastfeeding! )- I am seeing her lower incisors forming a V shape - Distema. My big worry is the general anesthesia which the surgeon says we cannot do without.)